Tips to Avoid Teeth Cavities and Save Them from Decay
Brushing teeth is an age-old concept that is core to our everyday hygiene. It’s a routine that we have followed since childhood and still maintain. It can help prevent various oral problems like cavities, decay, gum disease and more.
It simply means holes in the outer part of the teeth known as dentin. An average person’s mouth is filled with bacteria and germs that attach themselves to the surface of the teeth. It reacts with saliva mixed with protein and forms a whitish layer called plaque. If it is not removed in time then the acid might lead to tooth decay, cavities and other oral issues. It can dissolve the enamel of the tooth exposing the dentin to bacteria and germs present in the mouth. This might lead to pain and decay of tooth.
Tips to avoid tooth cavities
- Brushing and flossing of regularly in the morning and before going to bed can help in removing germs and bacteria from the mouth.
- Using a fluoride based toothpaste can help in protecting teeth from bacteria and germs attack.
- Use a floss to remove any food particles stuck between your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth with a good mouthwash to kill bacteria that leads to plaque formation.
- Eat or drink dairy based products like milk, cheese, yogurt and more as they are rich in calcium.
- Avoid eating sugary and carbohydrates based food items and clean your mouth after consumption of sticky products.
- Eat a balanced diet and avoid the temptation of snacking in between your meals.
- Drink at least 4 to 6 liters of water. It can wash off any bacteria from the mouth and diminish the dry mouth situation.
- Visit an East Dulwich dental care clinic regularly for dental exam and teeth cleaning. Ask him or her to prescribe fluoride supplement that can strengthen your teeth.
How to deal with cavities
- Using a fluoride based toothpaste can help in the initial stage when a cavity is formed. You can even ask your dentist to prescribe you adequate fluoride supplements in your daily diet.
- If the size of the cavity has increased, exposing the dentin then tooth filling is required. It will help in keeping the bacteria from reaching the inner surface of the teeth causing pain and decay.
- If the cavity has spread to the pulp then root canal can help in curbing the spread of cavities to the healthy teeth.
- If the damage is severe and the above-mentioned procedures cannot help, then the only solution is to remove the tooth. It is done to save the patient from pain and agony of a decayed tooth and replaced with the help of dental implants.
Following the above-mentioned points can help in keeping your teeth healthy. Apart from this, you can contact Dulwich Dental Office for regular check-ups. It is necessary that you visit your dentist at least twice a year for oral checkups and teeth cleaning.